Turning Fifty

Yes, in case you haven't heard yet, I have turned fifty. Kind of amazing, isn't it?

My wife Joan and I have recently started to realize that, with the passing of my Dad and her Aunt Marg, there are very few left from that generation. Only my Aunt Gloria, I think. Which leads to the inescapable conclusion that we are now the elders. To the little ones like my nephew Andrew, we are the "oldsters."

But you know, I don't feel old. Sure, I have more twinges these days, my eye sight is blurrier, and getting out of my leather chairs is harder to accomplish. But inside, I still feel like a silly youngster who doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up.

At my birthday party last night, the most frequently asked question was "So, how does it feel to be fifty?"

My intial answer is, Not so different.

But I guess I am now officially "over the hill." Or better yet, I'm on the hilltop. From here the view is different. Unlike ever before in my life, I can now see the retirement horizon waaaaay out there in the vague hazy distance. I may never get there.

But I'm not going to dwell on that. Rather, my sights are set on the near-term challenges of helping my son Kevin get into college and helping his younger brother David to steer through the last two years of high school.

This "getting old" stuff is a non-negotiable. The years roll on whether we like it or not. The key, I guess, is to stay young at heart. To think young. Stay awake. And keep on having fun.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART