The Soul of OD

One of the cool things about the field of organization development (or OD for short) is that people are always asking, So what is OD? and What do you do? Funny thing is, the folks in OD ask these questions too!

OD folks seem to be in a perpetual state of self-analysis and self-criticism (maybe even self-doubt). To me, I think it's healthy, because it keeps us on-our-toes and ready to explain what it is we can bring to the party.

At the ODNET discussion board, someone recently asked, what is the soul of OD? I love it. This is a typical OD question.

What do OD folk do? One person answered, We provide processes for helping people to do better. For me, that means helping people in organizations to think better, plan better, learn better, perform better, improve better, figure-stuff-out better, interact better, and collaborate better.

That is the soul of OD.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When people ask me what OD is, I tell them it's like the protein boost in a health shake. To me, the practice of OD involves helping people and organizations do their best work. OD people are coaches, facilitators, and enablers of productive redesign.

Our results are their results. Our work is to pump up the velocity of their work in such a way that our role is virtually transparent. We are not the heros or stars, but we are their secret weapons. That's what I like about the work.

Lisa Haneberg, Management Craft
HEY this post I am searching for fresh information
for my troubled teens facility, tons of content daily updated Information Pages about all kind of subjects.

It might interest you to know that your blog has been visited and has been read. I hope you enjoy your "Blogging".

I wish you all the luck I can, keep the good work going!

Kind regards,
troubled teens facility
troubled teens facility

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART