Well-Being in the Workplace

The Gallup organization recently published a study of well-being in the workplace and its effect on business outcomes.

"Well-being" is an interesting concept. What does it mean? One dictionary says: well-being is a contented state of being happy and healthy and prosperous. A thesaurus says that one sense of well-being is peace of mind: contentment, fulfillment, satisfaction, serenity.

At many workplaces, there is a palable atmosphere of fear and evaluation, with a gnawing edge of threat. No one is safe and secure. Even if you are good, smart, get results, and have a lot of experience, you can still be fired.

So where do we find our sense of well-being? When I think about my well-being, I think of my home. When I'm at home with my family, I feel accepted, loved, secure, protected, supported, cared for, encouraged, promoted. I can be who I am. I can express myself, free from fear.

Contentment is an inner state. Unless a person has it inside, and brings it with him or her to work, it won't be found there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company