The Nine Steps to Successful Organization Development - Reflecting at the Top of the Hill

After taking these nine steps, I feel like I am standing atop a hill. Surveying the landscape around me, I look back upon the nine steps to successful OD. Like birds taking off from the fields, a flock of additional ideas about OD are springing up.

Looks like this series is about to be continued!

The Soul of OD

One of the cool things about the field of organization development (or OD for short) is that people are always asking, So what is OD? and What do you do? Funny thing is, the folks in OD ask these questions too!

OD folks seem to be in a perpetual state of self-analysis and self-criticism (maybe even self-doubt). To me, I think it's healthy, because it keeps us on-our-toes and ready to explain what it is we can bring to the party.

At the ODNET discussion board, someone recently asked, what is the soul of OD? I love it. This is a typical OD question.

What do OD folk do? One person answered, We provide processes for helping people to do better. For me, that means helping people in organizations to think better, plan better, learn better, perform better, improve better, figure-stuff-out better, interact better, and collaborate better.

That is the soul of OD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company