Blogging: Good Idea or Playing With Fire?

As blogging proliferates, so too does concern about the hazards. HR people are seeking sample anti-blogging policies. In the case of employees who blog in parallel to their corporate lives, there is the risk of displeasing one's employer.

Although I never bad-mouth my employer in my blog entries, I am one of those who is running that risk. As an OD guy, I often write about the challenges I encounter in my work, e.g. leadership, coaching, and managing organizational change.

Blogs are just the latest current in an old stream. Even before blogs appeared, I was (and still am) an active contributor to a number of online discussion boards like trdev, hrnet, and odnet.

Some bloggers use protection by keeping their identity fuzzy. Rather than use a cute pseudonym, I use my real name. Usually I end my entries with the following signature:

Terry

Terrence Seamon, OD Guy & Transitionist
AGL Elizabethtown Gas
Union, NJ
http://www.ryze.com/go/thseamon
http://learningvoyager.blogspot.com

Contributing-author of the new edition of Practicing Organization
Development: A Guide for Consultants, edited by Rothwell & Sullivan


Will blogging be a habit, like smoking, that kills me? Only time will tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART