Candid Sharing, Effective Action

What is organization development (OD)? I get this question a lot. Usually I paraphrase Richard Beckhard, one of the founders of the OD field, and say that OD is about intentionally planning ways to make organizations more healthy and effective.

As I am job hunting, I look at a lot of job ads. This morning I saw one that takes an interesting approach to OD. Here is an excerpt:

Organization Development is the attempt to influence the members of an organization to expand their candidness with each other about their views of the organization and their experience in it, and to take greater responsibility in sharing and owning their own actions as organization members.

The assumption behind OD is that when people pursue both of these objectives simultaneously, they are likely to discover new ways of working together that they experience as more effective for achieving their own and their shared (organizational) goals. And that when this does not happen, such activity helps them to understand why and to make meaningful choices about what to do in light of this understanding through sharing.


What I find intriguing about this company's approach to OD is the focus on candid sharing among members of the organization about goals and choices.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 12/13/2005

Comments

Ajit Chouhan said…
good stuff man.Will keep coming back for more.
Terrence said…
Hey Ajit,
Welcome to my blog. Glad you stopped by.

I see that you are an HR blogger from India. I get the impression that both HR and blogging are alive and well in your country. Do you read Gautam Ghosh's blog too?

Best regards,
Terry
Ajit Chouhan said…
Yup I do ,I have tagged him to my blogs.Infact we are alumni of the same B school.I have keen interest in OD and just feel that it has not been given the fair treatment it deserves as a special discipline.Lets juts hope that we as bloggers can generate some additional interest in the topic and serve it better

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART