Is Wikipedia Dangerous?

Wikipedia, the world's first free, user-built, online encyclopedia has had some bad publicity lately. Is it a danger to our society? Are kids, students, and researchers running a risk in using wikipedia articles as sources of information?

I'll admit that I am biased. I have been a wikipedia contributor for years. My topics tend to be in my field of expertise, namely organization development, but I have also started and contributed to articles on film, culture, travel, and local New Jersey history.

I like wikipedia. It's a fun place to write. You "meet" other writers, from all over the world. You can contribute to their articles, and they lend a hand with yours. Like a barn-raising.

Yeah, sometimes your stuff gets vandalized by punks. But usually the wikipedia staff comes along and cleans up the annoying graffiti.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 12/20/2005

Comments

zeevveez said…
I'd like to get your comment as a Wikipedia contributor to the following idea:
In the future I intend to use the power of QTSaver to supply a free service that will use QT/search algorithm to retrieve only Wikipedia results.
It will be a short and condensed version of each Wikipedia article and it will save users time in case Wikipedia retrieve few links for the same query.

Thanks,
Zeevvvez

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART