Becoming a Thought Leader

Although I started blogging several years ago, I recently read that job hunters should consider starting a blog as a way to position themselves as thought leaders and thereby differentiate themselves from their competition. Seemed like a good idea to me.

Subsequently, I attended a job seekers support group meeting. As we went around the room introducing ourselves, I mentioned that I was blogging and that I was curious to hear their views about the thought leader strategy.

To my surprise, the room erupted in derision. No one liked the idea. No one supported it, even half-heartedly. To sum up the comments: It would be foolish to invest time and energy on such a project.

That reaction convinced me that becoming a thought leader is the right thing to do.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 1/20/2006

Comments

Bill Harris said…
I just stumbled across this tonight. Now that over a year has past, I'm curious: have you formed any updated opinion on this? Have you noticed any change in the reactions you get from others?

Popular posts from this blog

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Customer Service with HEART