The Granola Crowd

The other day, a friend of mine (a management consultant and executive coach), used the phrase "the granola crowd" to describe people in the field of Organization Development.

The Granola Crowd? To me, the phrase conjures up an image of a bunch of pony-tailed, blue-jeans and sandals wearing, tree-hugging, save-the-world vegetarian types.

As an OD Guy myself, I have encountered some fellow ODer's that fit this portrait, but I wouldn't paint all OD practitioners with so broad a brush.

What does the expression "the Granola Crowd" mean to you?

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 03/15/2006

Comments

Anonymous said…
Terrence,

Truthfully, I do not understand what that person meant,though it does sound denigrating.

(Forgot my password, so I am posting as Anonymous)

Claire
Terrence said…
Hi Claire.

Yes, I think he was giving the OD crowd a playful jab with that expression.

Thanks for stopping by!
Terry
Dub Dubs said…
I'm really not sure how you associate learning and OD professionals with the environmentalist club.

If anything, corporate org development would be seen quite in contrast with the tree-hugging type (not that the two are mutually exclusive), as tree hugger types don't like corporate types. It must have been in jest as it really doesn't make sense.

Whew - too much stereotyping here for me.
Little Leaf said…
I just heard someone refer to one of my colleagues as "a granola" and I was googling the expression to find answers. I've never heard of it before, but it sounded endearing for him to refer to our sweet little green and humanitarian colleague such this way. I want to be more granoly too.

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART