Where is Mother?

A very learned Catholic theologian is visiting my parish this week for a Lenten mission. At last night's talk, she explored the meaning of the Trinity, three persons in one God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

I sat there wondering: Where is God the Mother?

The speaker told us that this triune God is all about love, exploding with love in fact. So love-giving that God gave his Son as a sign of that love.

What happened to the Mother? When will we get a Trinity where the Father and the Son are joined by the Mother? As the speaker pointed out, Jesus arrived as a human baby and such arrivals require a mother, don't they?

Just wondering. It would make the Trinity more complete, I'd think. More whole. More perfect in love.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 03/06/2006

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been asking this question for several years, Terrence . . . born and raised RC, very active in the parishes wherever we've lived . . . volunteering hours and hours a week.

And I, too, could not answer the question, "Where's the Mother?" in the church.

I asked myself the question, "Would you consult to ANY organization, ANYWHERE, that systematically excluded anyone from leadership because of their color? Or their religion? Then, what are you doing volunteering -- giving away your time and self -- to an organization that systematically excludes women from ALL of the leadership roles?"

So, I walked away, and have been shedding my RC identity gradually for the past 3 years.

It's not fast; it's not done. Changing that part of my self concept is like pulling my own wisdom teeth. It's as deeply rooted in my psyche as being Irish, and a man.

But for all of the hassle, I'm much MUCH happier having shed that part of myself.

That may not be right for you, Terrence. But it's my story.

Matt Minahan
Anonymous said…
As a protestant, I always thought that was the reason RCs placed so much emphasis on Mary - because she somehow became a focus for that desire to interact with the feminine aspect of the divine. Not being born or raised RC, I don't know if this is an accurate perception. But as the old quote says, "if God did not exist it would be necessary to invent Him", and so perhaps Mary has been "invented" into this role. Perhaps other RCs can comment on this...

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART