More Remarkable Meetings

More Remarkable Meetings

Last year, when I started my job search, I posted a couple of entries about meetings with remarkable people who, like spirit guides, provided me with wisdom for the journey.

Here are two more from the past weeks....

Rude Awakening
Last Thursday morning, I trekked up to Parsippany for an early networking meeting where the guest speaker was going to address ageism (that is, the fact that employers don't want you if you are over 50, too experienced, and earning too much).

The speaker, a retained headhunter and a seasoned veteran of the corporate world, gave us a bracing message. Yes, ageism is a fact. Get over it. And get on with it, meaning get on with your search.

Two essential ingredients that he stressed were: having a plan (much like a sales plan) and knowing your accomplishments.

Brewed Awakenings
Yesterday, I met with a local training consultant for networking over a "cup o' coffee" (I actually ordered a green tea smoothie instead) at a place called Brewed Awakenings. Great name for a coffee spot!

Her message to me was, It's all about relationships. Building them, maintaining them. Connecting with people at a human level.

Additionally, it's about being nice. And helpful. Even when it's not returned in kind.

Namaste.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 05/16/06

Comments

Astha said…
Namaste! :)
Max Leibman said…
I'll add one thing to the sales plan, knowing your accomplishments, and building connections--also, practicing a little age camoflage (behaviors and resume strategies that bely the applicant's age without lying) couldn't hurt. Stephen M. Pollan and Mark Levine go into in their excellent book SECOND ACTS. With the aging workforce, I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.
Terrence said…
Hey Max,
Thanks for the tip on the book Second Acts. I will check it out.
Terry
Sandeep said…
I liked the Namaste bit.

Cheers!

Sandeep
Terrence said…
Hey Sandeep.

Glad you like it. I do too.

The term "namaste" does not have an equivalent in English as far as I know.

Terry
Terrence said…
Hey Max,

I am reading Second Acts as you suggested.

At the same time, I am reading Po Bronson's What Should I Do With My Life? book which I stumbled across while looking on amazon for Second Acts. It is excellent.

Terry

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company