Rediscovering Our Music

Blogger and consultant Don Blohowiak has a great entry about us baby-boomers, retirement, and music.

One of the things about parenthood that I have been continually amazed by is how my sons (now 19 and 17) have taken to music of my generation (such as Eric Burdon and the Animals, The Beatles, Billy Joel, Queen) and even older stuff (Sinatra, Torme, Bennett, Coltrane for example) as well.

Just last week, I picked up a cd of 1960's song-writer Jimmy Webb singing ten of his own pieces such as Witchita Lineman, Galveston, The Worst That Could Happen, and MacArthur Park. My sons love it!

Of course, their musical tastes have affected me as well, for instance The Gorillaz, The White Stripes, Gnarls Barkley, Jill Scott, Eva Cassidy, and Ben Folds.

Yes, we boomers are aging, but I think Don is right in suggesting that we are far from done. As he said:

"We’re about to rediscover our music. And ourselves."

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 06/01/06

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company