What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?

Blogger and consultant Dick Richards is seeking powerful questions to guide us in our search for purpose and fulfillment.

One question that is so common, so ordinary, that it has probably achieved cliche status, is What do I want to be when I grow up?

This annoying question has popped up continually through my 51 years and I have a feeling it will be with me like a bad penny for the next 51 (if I live that long).

But as annoying as it can be, it’s also like an old friend that comes and goes, in and out, of your life, popping back up when you least expect it, and despite the passage of time, you can pick up right where you left off.

Just the other day, I was sitting in my back-yard with a nearly-50 friend who is losing her job. Sharing a bottle of Italian red wine, we found ourselves laughing, envisioning the future, and asking each other, So, What do YOU want to be when you grow up?

Why does this question seem to have such staying power? I wonder if it’s because we never stop growing? We never finish. We are always evolving. We are like perennials in a garden, always re-blooming, coming back for a new season.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 07/02/06

Comments

Tom Vander Well said…
You're right. Maybe we're answering Bob Dylan's call to stay "Forever Young". At any rate, I love the idea that the journey continues and I'm not quite sure what's over the next rise. Isn't it cool to know that we live in a place and time where we always have the opportunity (over a bottle of Italian wine) to start over, start fresh, or break out in a new direction? I'm sure some people find that terrifying. I find it really, really stimulating. I wonder what's on the other side of that hill? Thanks for posting!
Terrence said…
Hey Tom.
Thanks for stopping by!
The Road Goes Ever On as JRR Tolkien (my favorite)once wrote.
Regards,
Terry
Pete Fasulo said…
Terry-

Long time, no speak. Pete Fasulo here. Love the info on your blog. As for my response to this one- My journey has continued. I have left corporate America after a successful 20-year run to start my own sales training company. My first book comes out in late August, and a second will follow in Feb of 07.
Hope all is well with you. I'll keep in touch via this blog

Later-

Pete
Terrence said…
Hey Pete,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. Thanks to Astha (at Evolving Ideas blog), I came back here and saw your comment.

Please send me an update on your book and company.

Best,
Terry

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company