Change Your Place, Change Your Luck

According to Rabbi and blogger Alana Suskin at Kol Ra'ash Gadol, the saying "Change your place, change your luck" is an oldie, going back to ancient times, maybe even to Abraham:

And the Lord said to Abram, Get out from your land, and from your birthplace, and from your father’s house, to a land that I will show you; And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing; And I will bless those who bless you, and curse him who curses you; and in you shall all families of the earth be blessed.

There is something about that saying that is resonating with me...

My mother, the Jewish grand-daughter of immigrants from Russia and Ukraine, had sayings like that one. Though I can't remember hearing that one uttered when I was a kid, perhaps that maxim was "in there" somewhere, providing the stimulus for the Mystery Rides we used to take? Take a new road and see what unexpected opportunity you might find?

Maybe that's why her grandparents left their homes in the Old World and trekked to America?

They must have had a strong faith in that saying. I wonder if I'd have the courage to take a journey like they did? A journey so far from the familiar? A one-way journey to a strange place?

My wife and I just got back from visiting some dear friends who retired and now live in Maine, about a ten hour drive from New Jersey. Where they live is about as remote as you can get, five hours north of Portland, in the "Down East" coastal area of Maine. They moved there from NJ a few years ago, to get away from the crowding and expense of living in the NY metropolitan area.

They are proof of the saying "Change your place, change your luck." Though they are far from their children and grandchildren, they are so happy with the life they have in Maine. It is so much better for them now. To us, they seem blissful.

As we were driving back to NJ, we wondered if you have to move that far...to change your luck?

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 08/29/06

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART