Making A Dent In The Universe

At the Life Coaches Blog, I came across the slogan, "make a dent in the universe," that apparently is attributable to Apple's Steve Jobs:

"We're here to make a dent in the universe. Otherwise, why even be here? We're creating a completely new consciousness, like an artist or a poet. That’s how you have to think of this. We're rewriting the history of human thought with what we're doing."

It even showed up in a commencement speech:

"Remember to see each challenge and even conflict as an opportunity to learn and grow. Dare to be the different voice and embrace those different voices that might help you reach better decisions for the good of our society. "Make a dent in the universe" and, most important of all, make us proud to say--and tell others--that you are Denison University graduate!"

Kinda cool, I'd say. It reminds me of a conversation I had a couple months ago with a friend who said that what Life is all about is "leaving a hole." At first, I didn't get his meaning, but after some more conversing I interpreted his stance as akin to "leaving one's mark."

The way I prefer to put it is that I want to make the world a better place.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 08/02/06

Comments

Anna said…
I interviewed Todd Henry from The Accidental Creative on my podcast a few weeks ago and he said he wanted his legacy to be that he died empty. Which I thought was great too, he wanted to ensure that all his love, ideas, energy, creativity had been used up so that he had no regrets. Powerful!
Great blog...
Terrence said…
Hi Anna,
Thanks for stopping by!
It's important for us to think about our place in the world and what we want our lives to mean.
Regards,
Terry
Alvin said…
Thank you for stopping by Life Coaches Blog, Terrence :)

I love the quotes you got from Jobs, they capture in a few succint words what I wanted to say in a whole article!

And I love the quote from Todd from Anna too...that makes sense to me :D
Terrence said…
Hey Alvin,
Welcome to my blog!

I found yours via Bloglines. How did you find out about mine?

As I said in my reply to Anna, this work --discovering your unique purpose and gifts, and following your calling to make this world a better place-- is what it's all about.

Regards,
Terry
Alvin said…
Hi Terrence :)

Wordpress has a feature where it shows you the latest links back into your blog, so does Technorati, that's how I found you.

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company