"Socialize That"

Some years ago, when I was with a telecom company in New York, I learned a concept, socializing, that has proven to have tremendous value in change management.

I remember my co-worker (and mentor) Thad saying, "I'll go see so-and-so and socialize the idea with him."

When I first heard it uttered, I was baffled by it. But I soon figured it out.

The concept of "socializing" refers to the interpersonal communication process of building support for an idea or course of action by visiting with key stakeholders one at a time.

It takes time and seems slow, but it's an investment that pays off in winning support and commitment to a change.

Added Note on July 2: Nemawashi

Posted by Terrence Seamon, 04/21/07

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Leading is a verb