OD on the Inside

Yesterday I had the good fortune of being a presenter at the Academy of Management in Phildelphia, Pennsylvania. It was the 2007 Annual Meeting called "Doing Well By Doing Good."

I was part of a three person team with Julie Smendzuik-O'Brien and Bev Scott (who has actually "written the book"!)addressing "Good Consulting on the Inside: Managing the Function, the Work and the Self."

A small but very interested crowd of doctoral students, academics, and external OD consultants gathered for our session. A few of our key points:

- Internal consultants require a somewhat different set of competencies than external consultants do.

- Internal consultants must continuously work on building good relationships within their organization; understand the business that they are in; and take good care of themselves so that they don't burn out.

- Internal consultants face many challenges (including organizational politics and demanding clients), but also have the opportunity to do good things (such as facilitating change) for their organizations.

It was great working with Julie and Bev, who I had worked with before, but had never met face to face.

Last night, my sister-in-law asked me if I had presented Peter Block stuff. No, I said. We presented our stuff.

My wife asked me if I think I'll be invited back to a future AOM meeting. I wonder . . . .

Posted by Terrence Seamon, August 5, 2007

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company