Are You A "Slow Learner?"

I have always considered myself a creative type. In the business world, I have long suspected that I was a square peg. But reading a book on the train the other morning, I am now convinced.

The book is Weird Ideas That Work by Bob (The No A__hole Rule) Sutton. In Chapter Three, "Hire Slow Learners," he describes some personality research on creative types that found three intriguing characteristics:

- these people tend to be "low self monitors," abrasive mavericks who tend to be the opposite of "yes men," and are often seen as "pains in the a__" by others

- they prefer to avoid social interaction, maybe a bit shy

- they are likely to have high self-esteem, and may seem arrogant to others

He calls these people "slow learners" because they are slow to conform to the organization's culture or way of doing things.

As I read this chapter, I had a strong aha. These are aspects of myself that I have wrestled with forever.

As an Organization Development practitioner, there are some interesting implications. Maybe "slow learners" are better able to maintain the tension of marginality with their clients?

So are you a "slow learner?"

Posted by Terrence Seamon, Sept 28, 2007

Comments

Ajit Chouhan said…
Hi Terrence,

I have often seen that these so called slow learners are very innovative and due to the non conformist habits they are move lateral and can give out of box solutins.At times its good to have these kind of team members as they bring distinct valye to he team.
Terrence Seamon said…
Hi Ajit,
When people start saying, "Please get back in the box," I know I'm in the right place.
Thanks for stopping by again.
Regards,
Terry

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company