Golden Seeds

Who are the five persons who have had the most influence in your life?

Many years ago I read a book called Meetings With Remarkable Men by G. I. Gurdjieff. It has resonated with me ever since because I think that my life has been (and continues to be) a series of meetings with remarkable men and women.

Recently I had the good fortune of meeting Charles Handy, a most remarkable man. One of the many interesting notions that he has written and spoken about is that of "golden seeds" (an idea that I believe originated with Sigmund Freud).

Blogger Edicio dela Torre wrote about this at his blog last year:

“Often the seed was just a chance remark,” Charles explains, “but it could be the loan or gift of money at a crucial time, a critical introduction or recommendation, or the chance to take on unproven responsibilities - all hard evidence of someone’s belief in your abilities.”

Golden Seeds: The expression of someone's belief in your abilities. This is what parents do, and teachers, and coaches, and bosses.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, Jan 31, 2008

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company