Living the History of the Future

I just saw a comment on someone's blog that the Democrat race for President between Hillary and Obama is so significant that "we may be living history."

That phrase --"we may be living history"-- caught my eye. Aren't we always living the history of the future?

I guess there are certain moments, like when John F. Kennedy was shot or when the World Trade Center was attacked, that stand out like sharp spikes on the ever-spooling graph of life. Moments that forever after we talk about by saying "Oh yes, I remember exactly where I was that day when..."

And in each person's life, there are days of great personal significance, like the day you got married, the day your child was born, or the day your parent died.

But when you stop and think about it, every day of life will someday be a day in history in the future, right?

So shouldn't every day be a day of meaning?

The reality is that a lot of our days (too many, in fact) are uneventful and flow by without much notice...and one day we wake up and notice that life is half over.

I want to "live the history of the future" each day with a sense of meaning and purpose. From what I hear in his speeches, I think Barack Obama wants this too. Maybe that's part of why he is so appealing to so many. He knows that he is "living history."

Posted by Terrence Seamon, Feb 11, 2008

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company