How to Engage Employees - Part 4

Blogger Chris Bailey looks at some employee engagement statistics and asks a logical question:

"I guess the surprise for me is that (only?) 40% are disengaged if their manager ignores them. . . it does make you wonder who that other 60% is doesn’t it?"

Good question. My first thought was that there are probably a lot of employees who would prefer it if their boss ignored them. Bosses who annoy, who meddle, who micro-manage, who disrespect.

In talking this over with my wife, I got to thinking about what it means to ignore (Latin: to not know, to disregard, to pay no attention to). And I asked myself, What then is the positive alternative to ignoring?

For Managers who want to do a better job of engaging their employees, take a good look at your own behavior and check for the presence of the following:

~ Acknowledging - This can take many forms, from a simple "Good morning" when you encounter your employees early in the day, to "Have a nice weekend" on a Friday.

~ Paying attention to - Do you know what your employees are working on? What they are up against? What resources they may need from you?

~ Respecting - This can take many forms, from respecting an employee's time or their space, to respecting an employee's expertise.

~ Praising - Do you express and show your appreciation when an employee puts forth a notable effort?

Posted by Terrence Seamon, Mar 29, 2008

Comments

David Zinger said…
Just like employees should not be ignored I don't think what you say here should be ignored. A good flip to ignore-ance!
Terrence Seamon said…
Thanks, David. Whether one is a blogger or an employee, it is nice to be noticed. And "nice" is important.

Terry
workplay said…
Yeah, I very much like the flip here, Terry. I've been reflecting on my own thinking and writing and realize that I'm awfully good at pointing out the problems but not quite so energetic at offering solutions. I have a few posts in the hopper that point out problems but give some ideas toward making things better. As always, thanks for continuing to stretch me a bit!
Terrence Seamon said…
Back at you, Chris.

Terry

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART