Recognize connections with seemingly unconnected things

Do you think that you are the sort of person who can recognize connections with seemingly unconnected things?

Does that question have a faintly Monty-Pythonesque ring to it?

It actually comes from an Organization Development job ad that I came across the other day.

What do you think this employer is looking for? The rest of the ad gives a few clues; for example, having an understanding of Systems theory.

I've been a big fan of Systems Theory since my undergraduate days at Rutgers, studying Human Communication. My favorite visual image (I forget where I picked it up) of a system is the bathtub full of balloons. Press on one balloon over here, and several pop up over there.

Everything is connected to everything else. Even at a distance.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, April 26, 2008

Comments

mstallard said…
Terry,

I find it fascinating that a job description would mention the need to see connections. I vaguely recall seeing a McKinsey & Company paper years ago that described integration as a cognitive strength. Robert Sternberg at Yale also identifies one of his thinking styles as, (I believe he refers to it) "global" thinking. Since I feel that seeing connections (or integrating ideas into a coherent pattern) is one of my few strengths, I've always perked up when I spot it described. Terry, are you an integrator too.?
Terrence Seamon said…
Hey Michael,
Glad this posting caught your eye. Am I an integrator? I'd like to think so. My friends call me the Networking Guy. And a professor once praised me for my ability to creatively synthesize ideas. Though it was over thirty years ago, I still get a nice warm feeling from that praising.
Terry
Scott said…
Facinating subject. I have used Tea and the Industrial Revolution a few times in workshops and it never fails to engage a group in such a discussion. You may have come across this before Terry but here is a good link just in case.

http://www.alanmacfarlane.com/savage/tea.html
Terrence Seamon said…
Great video, Scott. Thanks for the link.
Terry

Popular posts from this blog

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Customer Service with HEART