Who Did You Help Today?

Via Bloglines, I came across an entry by Dave Truss where he suggests a simple question . . . that just might change the world.

Here's an excerpt:

"Every night when I put my kids to bed I ask them a question, What was your favorite part of the day? When I heard Mark Kielburger speak, I decided on a new question: “Who did you help today?” It is simple. It inspires empathy. It shows what we truly value… and I look forward to the day when my daughters' favorite part of the day is also the answer to Who did you help today?"

I wish I had thought of that question when my sons were little. Now they are in college. Maybe I'll try it on them anyway.

By coincidence, I have been stumbling across other blog entries about the questions we ask. For instance, in this one, Bob Sutton muses about something Karl Weick wrote:

"...people who are preoccupied with success ask the wrong question. They ask, “what is the secret of success?” when they should be asking, “what prevents me from learning here and now?” "

In another one, David Zinger muses on Peter Block and writes: "Are you asking the right questions to achieve higher or more significant levels of employee engagement. Too often we focus on the “how to” without fully considering what matters and why it matters."

Seems to me that there are some simply powerful questions that, if we used them, we could change many things for the better.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, April 25, 2008

Comments

Chris Morgan said…
olhaelcNice post - I will be trying out the 'who did you help' question on my kids tonight.

However when I asked myself the question I found it a bit of a tough one. So thanks for that!

Chris

http://learn2develop.blogspot.com
Terrence Seamon said…
No problem, Chris. That question stopped me in my tracks too.
Terry
David Zinger said…
Many times the questions are the answers and we don't pay enough attention to those questions. I love the movement from me to we. One little letter turned upside down makes all the difference in the world.

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

Customer Service with HEART