Moving and Thinking

What is it about movement that promotes thinking?

I think I get my best ideas when I am moving. Walking for example. Or riding the train.

Wisdom Walks - I've always enjoyed a good walk-&-talk with someone important to me, such as my wife, or a colleague, or a fellow lay minister.

Several years ago, when I became a member of the Pastoral Council at my church, I was introduced to the "wisdom walk," where two people spend a couple hours walking the grounds of the retreat center, talking and pondering the work of the spirit in building up the faith community that we will help guide as a council.

In an interview with Ron Hurst, I talked about this concept of a "wisdom walk." Ron writes:

~ "He will go off with a trusted colleague or loved one and bounce ideas off of them seeking input and a reality check. I love this idea and often do the same on long vacation drives."

Train of Thought - Since starting this job with AMA in New York City, I've become a train commuter. And one of the great benefits of commuting is the thinking it stimulates!

I've had some of my best recent brainstorms on train rides!

Posted by Terrence Seamon, June 2, 2008

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company