How Can I Help?

In a report from Canada today, I read: "President Obama and Prime Minister Harper met briefly today . . . One woman in the crowd was asked by a reporter what she would say to President Obama, if she had the chance. She said, "I'd ask him how I could help.""

As companies close, as jobs disappear, as unemployment claims
grow . . .

The question is: How can I help?

A colleague asked me today if this downturn is worse than prior downturns. My own view is that this is the worst I've seen.

Now, more than ever, the onus is on each one of us to figure out what we can do to help.

What actions can You take now to help someone to survive this downturn?

One idea, started by Mark Stelzner, is to become a Job Angel. He writes:

~ "So I wondered, what if each of (us) helped just one person find a job? Could we actually make a difference? Here’s the original Tweet: “Was thinking that if each of us helped just 1 person find a job, we could start making a dent in unemployment. You game?”"

I've got my wings.

How about you?

Posted by Terrence Seamon, February 19, 2009

Comments

kerry dexter said…
Terrence,
I came to your post from Job Angels on LinkedIn. Thanks for the good and encouraging post. As a freelance writer who works mainly in music, I often pass along leads of all sorts to people I know -- and now I'm on the looking side as well. We are all in this together, and helping one person is a great place to start. thanks for the thoughtful reminder.
Anonymous said…
You say to help one person -- I'm one person that needs help finding a job. I am hopeful the blogs I have written about how to start a job search and polish your resume will help at least one other person find a job.
I'm a copywriter, editor, proofreader and ghostwriter. I need some freelance projects sent my way or full-time employment! I'm in Charlotte, NC and would love to stay here. I have an advanced education (Master's x2) and experience, yet I am almost out of money.
Any wings or halos out there ready to help me? Read some tips on how to write your resume and begin a job search. I'm offering free resume help. Just subscribe to my blog and send it to me from there.
Wendy Wells
wendywellswrites.com
Terrence Seamon said…
Kerry and Wendy,
Thank you both for stopping by and commenting.

Kerry, Sounds like you are already a job angel. I agree that we are all in this together.

Wendy, Sounds like your blog will be a source of support to others.

For your own job searches, if you aren't visible on LinkedIn yet, I recommend you do so. There are Groups now that you can join for more targeted networking.

Terry

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company