Live And Learn

My mother Ramona had a lot of sayings. One that I've written about before is "Life is what you make it."

Another one of hers is "Live and learn." That's got to be one of the most economical maxims ever coined. It's probably shortened from something like, "You live it and you learn it."

Often uttered after you have made a mistake of some kind, it's a mother's way of saying, "Now don't be stupid. Learn the lesson from what you just did, and don't do it again."

Yesterday, a colleague on ODNET sent an email with a quote from the novelist Doris Lessing:

~ “That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you’ve understood all your life, but in a new way.”

What I think Lessing is saying is that learning is a function of awakening, and throughout our lives, as we grow and change, we keep awakening over and over again. Everything old is new again.

I think my mom would agree with that.

PS - My wife Joan just asked me why I'm blogging about learning on Valentine's Day. Well, I'm really blogging about my mother, who I loved dearly. And it was she who most likely got me started down the path of learning that led me to the field of Training and Organization Development.

Thanks, Mom. I love you.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, February 14, 2009

Comments

What a great post! It gives one pause to reflect on those in life who influenced us similarly. We should all be so lucky to have that kind of mother and/or be that kind of mother/mother figure who inspires a desire to learn.
Terrence Seamon said…
Thanks, Hayli. Glad you stopped by. Your RiseSmart site looks interesting.
Terry

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company