Every Solution Generates New Problems

I recently switched my home phone service from my phone company to my cable company. Now my wireless router won't connect.

Many years ago, when I was a TQM (Total Quality Management) Guy, conducting training on the tools and steps for process improvement, I learned many sayings, including:

~ Every solution generates new problems.

Take a look at some of the solutions being implemented right now to solve the global economic mess. These are "big hairy audacious" solutions, in the billions of taxpayer dollars. Many are wondering if these solutions will really work . . . and what the unintended consequences may be.

A couple days ago, I blogged about SMART goals. You can apply the SMART principles to solutions too.

Another aspect of the saying "Every Solution Generates New Problems" that I like is that it can be viewed as a corollary to Murphy's Law, that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong:

~ "Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

So, if you expect that problems will be created by your solutions, you can actually anticipate them.

I had a feeling that my wireless router might be a problem after the switch to cable. I was right.

If anybody has any ideas, let me know.

Posted by Terrence Seamon, March 22, 2009

Comments

Thanks, Terrence, for this enlightening post! I guess it's best to anticipate problems and plan out a Plan B or even Plan C! Sorry, I'm no help with the wireless router.

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company