Saturday, July 24, 2010

What Counts the Most?


Someone tweeted the other day, “What counts the most is results.” That mantra is certainly true for Corporate America. And I preach it when I am wearing my Training Manager hat.

But lately, I am finding that there are people who are wondering if that’s all there is. Two groups in particular, Leaders and Job Hunters, are on my mind.

Let’s start with Leaders. Clearly, they are measured against delivering results. In my executive coaching work with leaders, I am hearing a yearning for something more. Recently, several highly successful business leaders told me how dissatisfied they have felt, for years, with their jobs. Yes, they have made good money. Yes, they have accomplished a lot. But they have felt a hole, something missing. Work for them has been a spiritually draining experience, leaving them starved rather than nourished.

And Job Hunters. If you are still adrift in this recession, looking for work, and pondering career direction, you may be wondering, “What else counts? And what counts for Me?”

I am currently part of a team at my church that is planning a retreat for September that will be devoted to spirituality and work. The other night, we discussed why we work. There were many responses. Some obvious and generally accepted answers were “to make money; to earn a living; to support my family.”

But there were many other responses too, such as:
- to fulfill my purpose
- to make me a whole person
- to learn
- to be significant
- to help others
- to make an impact
- to make the world a better place

So what counts the most for You? Is it Results? Relationships? Making a lasting impact?

Aspirational coach Monica Diaz de Peralta says that the path to fulfillment is to recognize that we aspire to three deep needs in the human soul:
- transcendence
- wisdom
- happiness

I like that model. Those three aspirations really do count for me.

There is a saying attributed to Albert Einstein: “Many of the things you can count, don’t count. Many of the things you can’t count, really count.”

Einstein was more than a brilliant theoretical mathematician. He was a wise man.

Terry

ABOUT THE WRITER

This article, originally posted at HR.BlogNotions on July 21, 2010, was written by Terrence Seamon. For more on leadership, coaching, careers, goals, and wisdom, check out Terry’s website Facilitation Solutions.

No comments: