Running Conversations


Have you tried twitter chat yet? I participated in my first one the other day. It was like running in a race with a group of people that are having a spirited discussion on a given topic. Hard to keep up. Yet, exhilarating at the same time.

The invitation came from careers expert Alexandra Levit who tweeted me, asking: "Hi Terry! Are you free Friday at 1PM ET to drop into my Twitter chat on workplace productivity? Would love your expertise!"

I said I'd love to. So I went and researched what a twitter chat was and how to participate. It turned out to be a simple process using tweetdeck.

What was not so simple was the experience itself! As the participants arrived, folks started tweeting their hellos and replies to the questions posed by the moderator. And whoosh! the chat was rolling. I jumped right in and found it to be a rush.

A flood of ideas, each in under 140 characters (the twitter limit) swept by, but all containing the hashtag quickbasechat. With that hashtag, I can go back and review the comments written by all the chat participants. Here is just a few of some of the best ideas for the topic "Leadership Productivity Hacks:"

- On Delegation: When delegating, clearly state expectations and what the employee will get out of it, and follow up regularly. (from Alexandra Levit)

- On what Leaders can do to Energize their teams: Leaders lead , they don't control. My best bosses let me fly and were always there when I needed them. (from Deborah Shane)

- On Boundaries: "Create boundaries otherwise nothing will get done. Shut door, block time on calendar + temporarily shut smart phone/emails." (from Vickie Salemi)

- On overcoming Procrastination: "Procrastination is at its toughest when you haven't begun, so start with a small task to gain momentum." (from Alexandra Levit)

Thanks again, Alexandra! I am looking forward to my next twitter chat.

Posted by Terrence Seamon on Sunday September 18, 2011

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

The Way to Build a Better Company

Does This Make Any Sense to You?