Friday, April 26, 2013

Train with PODER

My new model for training is called PODER. I introduced it this week in a Train-the-Trainer class with a new client in the Newark, NJ area. Most of the class were Hispanic by heritage. As soon as I introduced the model, two of them said, "In our language, 'poder' means 'power,' you know."

I was pleased to hear that. If training is effective, it does em-power people to do their jobs well and achieve the results they are after.

Here's my new model for training, designed for trainers to guide them through the entire process.

P = Plan the training. This includes analyzing the need for the training. Setting objectives for the training. Assessing the audience for their knowledge and readiness. Creating the lesson plans designed to teach the skills needed.

O = Organize the training. This includes the communicating, the scheduling, the materials, the channels (e.g. classroom, e-learning, job aids, etc), and everything else required to execute the training.

D = Deliver the training. This includes instructing, coaching, facilitating, and an understanding of the ways that adults learn.

E = Evaluate the training. This includes understanding the Kirkpatrick levels of training evaluation.

R = Reinforce the training. This includes following up with the trainees to support them in applying and transferring the skills back to the job.

Let me know how this model compares to ones you know (such as ADDIE) and use.

I would be happy to come to your organization and introduce your trainers to PODER. Let me know. You can reach me at terrence.seamon@gmail.com or 732-246-3014.

Posted on Friday April 26, 2013 by Terrence Seamon

No comments: