Change: A Moving Experience

My wife and I moved recently, after living in our prior place for 30 years. Trust me when I say, it was truly a moving experience.

Change guru William Bridges was right about the phases that one goes through during a major life change such as moving.

After 30 years, in a home where we raised our two sons, the Ending phase of change was swift but the Letting Go was hard. Even though we chose this path, the sense of loss was deeply felt. My wife really went through the famous cycle of emotions first described by Elizabeth Kubler Ross in her classic work "On Death and Dying."

After we sold our house, we entered the Neutral Zone, a period of transition that lasted for months, as we waited for the owners of our home-to-be to move out and go on with their next chapter in life.

We moved in with one of our sons, in a small rental property, and disturbed his equilibrium in every way.

Being in-between put us in internet limbo for quite some time. My smart phone became my internet device. Writing a blog post on my phone proved to be a much more arduous task than I usually face.

Finally, we reached the New Beginning. We moved to our new home on September 6th. In that time, I have made dinner more times than I can count. 

Don't get me wrong. I love to cook. It's one of my passions. So many menus...Salmon. Putanesca.  Pork loin. Sweet Jersey corn.

Not having moved in 30 years, I didn't realize that so many people would be stopping by and that I'd be serving dinner so frequently.

But this new start is not a bed of roses. We really miss our old place. We could walk everywhere : downtown, to the park, to the bank, to Rutgers campus.

Now we live in a suburb. Far from the student madness that drove us out of New Brunswick.

It is quieter here.  We have deer that come by to eat our yard.

Now we have new decisions to make:  Put up a fence? Build a shed? 

These can wait. Summer has drawn to a close and the weather will be changing soon.

Now the important decisions are of a different sort. We feel weird here.  Like we don't belong.

Who are we now?

Terrence Seamon helps his clients to change for the better. Follow him on twitter @tseamon, and on facebook Facilitation Solutions.


Comments

raymmmondo said…
Thank you for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Skills vs Hard Skills?

Does This Make Any Sense to You?

The Way to Build a Better Company